Disclaimer: It is important to note that consulting with your doctor/physician should take precedence and come first when deciding upon treating any ailment or disease. Additionally, research into cannabis, while the field is indeed growing, is still limited and the need for clinical trials and experiments is a topic that society needs to collectively address. Proper and effective dosing, for example, is a facet of medical marijuana that has been difficult to establish due to restrictions our governments have in place.The potential for cannabis’ ability to save lives is one that cannot be overlooked, but unfortunately still needs to be intensively studied.
The following is a collection of news articles, research literature, peer reviewed medical studies, resources, documentaries, interviews, and lecture clippings discussing cannabis as a medicine for treating Epilepsy and Seizures.
Seizure Disorders Enter Medical Marijuana Debate – Aug 2013 article on medscape.com
Medical marijuana helps stem 6-year-old’s seizures – Dec 2012 article on cnn.com
On Medical Marijuana And Epilepsy – page on epilepsy.com
Does Marijuana Help Epilepsy? – May 2011 on theweedblog.com
Parents of children with epilepsy lobby lawmakers over medical marijuana – Jan 2014 article on miamiherald.com
Mom Recounts Using Medical Marijuana To Treat Her Son’s Epilepsy (Video) – Dec 2013 article on huffingtonpost.com
Scholarly Articles and Medical Studies:
- The Endogenous Cannabinoid System Regulates Seizure Frequency and Duration in a Model of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy – Sep 2003 The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Marijuana use and epilepsy – Jun 2004 Neurology.org
- On-demand activation of the endocannabinoid system in the control of neuronal excitability and epileptiform seizures – Nov 2004 ScienceDirect.com
- Endocannabinoid Effects on Febrile Seizures: Not Just a Toke(n) Mechanism – Mar 2004 US National Library of Medicine
- Cannabinoids: Defending the Epileptic Brain – May 2004 US National Library of Medicine
- Marijuana and Epilepsy – page on Neuro Science Fundamentals
- Endocannabinoids: A Critical Regulator of Activity in the Developing Brain – Jan 2006 US National Library of Medicine
CNN Weed – Sanjay Gupta Reports
The full CNN special.
Found on the youtube channel CanabinoidAndroid
Weed 2: Cannabis Madness. Dr. Sanjay Gupta Reports
A much better documentary than the first in my opinion; unfortunately the information is still limited and the film only touches on a few aspects of medical marijuana.
Found on the youtube channel wwwMOXNEWScom
Cannabidiol CBD Extract Stops Epileptic Seizures caused by Dravet Syndrome
Special from Discovery Channel’s “Weed Wars.” The story centers around Jayden, a little boy who uses a CBD tincture to treat his seizures brought on by Dravet Syndrome.
Found on the youtube channel XIxItalianoxIX
The surprising story of medical marijuana and pediatric epilepsy: Josh Stanley at TEDxBoulder
TED talk at Boulder, CO. Josh Stanley, the eldest brother of the family responsible for growing the Charlotte’s Web marijuana strain discusses a number of topics regarding medical marijuana.
Found on the youtube channel TEDxTalks
Cannabinoid Research – Cannabis and Epileptic Seizures
An exhaustive list of past and ongoing medical studies regarding the use of cannabis for treating epilepsy and seizures.
Found on the youtube channel deckster2008
University of Reading – Cannabis discovery could lead to new epilepsy treatments
Interview with Dr Ben Whalley of the University of Reading. Here he discusses the possibility that CBDv (Cannabidivarin) may be an excellent cannabinoid for treating seizures, possibly better than any of the other cannbinoids including CBD (cannabidiol).
Found on the youtube channel UniofReading
epilepsy and cannabis
Watch firsthand – an elderly gentleman going through a seizure and coming out of it by smoking a joint.
Found on the youtube channel Guppy Fish
Brain Tumor, Seizures, and Cannabis: Kelly of Arkansas 2006
Mother describes her situation with her son who suffered a Grand Mal seizure due to a frontal lobe brain tumor. Here she discusses how her son receives treatment with medical marijuana.
Found on the youtube channel CannabisPatientNet
Seizure Disorder and Cannabis: Steve Green of Michigan 2013
Medical Marijuana patient Steve Green discusses his experience with treating his seizure disorder with medical cannabis.
Found on the youtube channel CannabisPatientNet
Do note that there are many more patient testimonials out there. If you’d like to see more, simply do a youtube search for “Cannabis and Epilepsy.” Remember, it’s always best to do your own research – I’ve simply made the process a little easier with this site by compiling a well rounded collection of cannabis digest so to say.
I’d like to point out that the TED talk above by Josh Stanley delivers an excellent message by discussing how our Federal legal system is actually preventing children from receiving life-saving treatments – yes children actually do die as a result of marijuana prohibition. Please consider that for a second and realize how ridiculous this vilification and demonization of marijuana as a drug is.
It’s been said a million times over and yet people still stumble when asked the question, “how many people have actually died from the use of cannabis?” Once again, the answer – ZERO.
Please like, comment, but most importantly share, and if possible, help the legalization cause in whatever state or country you are in. If it isn’t clear to you that cannabis can actually significantly help with a plethora of problems throughout the world, then please, allow yourself to give facts and actual research a chance. Do your own searches, take advantage of google, youtube, local resources, out of state, or even out of country resources in whatever way you can to educate yourself on what cannabis can actually do – it’s far more than just a medicine.
As always, thank you for taking the time to read these entries!
- Cannabis Cures Cancer (cannajournal.com)
- An Overview of the Endocannabinoid System and Cannabinoids (How Cannabis Cures Cancer) (cannajournal.com)
- Parents flock to Colorado for cannabis that ‘cures’ seizures (theprovince.com)
- Patients Demanding A Real Medical Marijuana Program In New York (theweedblog.com)
- FDA-approved medical marijuana clinical trial gets underway next month for kids with epilepsy (nj.com)
- Cannabis Can Successfully Treat Epilepsy In Children, Says New Study (theweedblog.com)
- Wilson Family Leaving State After Fight For Marijuana For Toddler Comes Up Empty #MedicalMarijuana #Kids #Dravet #Seizures (oil4naturalhealth.wordpress.com)
- Cannabis Treats Epilepsy, Small Stanford Survey Finds (sfgate.com)
- Illinois medical marijuana: Under construction (stltoday.com)
- State House to propose bill to legalize strain of marijuana for seizures (miamiherald.com)